C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Marriage News Watch, 8/11/14

Sorry, fellas, I got distracted with some projects and just haven't had a chance to post anything the last couple of days.  Here's Matt Baume to bring us up to date on marriage cases around the country.




Updates, 7 p.m.:

Virginia:
Unless the Supreme Court steps in to postpone marriages for same-sex couples in Virginia, they could begin getting licenses to wed as early as next Wednesday, after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit refused a delay Wednesday morning. If the procedure that has been followed in similar cases is used again, however, the Justices would be likely to order a postponement, if asked. . . .

Tennessee:
For the first time in nearly fourteen months, a state’s ban on same-sex marriage has withstood a constitutional challenge in court. A state judge in Tennessee ruled last week that “neither the Federal Government nor another state should be allowed to dictate to Tennessee what has traditionally been a state’s responsibility.” The decision, issued last Tuesday, has just become available in electronic format. . . .

Also worth reading by Lyle Denison at SCOTUSBlog: "The marriage ruling “streak” and what it means, made simple"


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails