C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, September 22, 2011

Obama to U.N.: Stand Up for the Gays



(begin at the 4:45 mark)

In his speech before the General Assembly of the United Nations in New York yesterday, President Obama urged that all countries respect the rights and dignity of gay people:
And to make sure our societies reach their potential, we must allow our citizens to reach theirs. No country can afford the corruption that plagues the world like a cancer. Together, we must harness the power of open societies and open economies. That’s why we’ve partnered with countries from across the globe to launch a new partnership on open government that helps ensure accountability and helps to empower citizens. No country should deny people their rights to freedom of speech and freedom of religion, but also no country should deny people their rights because of who they love, which is why we must stand up for the rights of gays and lesbians everywhere.

Wow. Powerful words.  Thank you, Mr. President.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails