C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, October 1, 2020

Our Rendezvous with Destiny

Treason is afoot in the land.  The New York Times sounds the alarm this morning:

Click to enlarge.

And Politico reports:  "Former national security adviser H.R. McMaster said Thursday that President Donald Trump is 'aiding and abetting' Russian President Vladimir Putin’s efforts to sow doubt about the American electoral system."

McMaster expressed himself at length in this interview with MSNBC today:


But of course all this is old news - here's a front page of the New York Daily News two years ago:


You know, 55 percent of non-voters in the 2016 election were Democrats, according to the Pew Research Center.  I'm praying that Democrats will turn out this year in overwhelming numbers so that the election results cannot possibly be challenged.  It's all up to us, fellas - now is the time to overthrow the dictatorship that has already begun.  This is the last chance to stop it - our generation's rendezvous with destiny.  

I was never asked to shed my blood for this country that I love - but I will certainly give my vote.  We are fortunate here in Texas that the state allows walk-in early voting during most of October, 7 days a week in our county.  M.P. and I have already made our plan for when and where to vote.  Have you?

An excerpt from Franklin D. Roosevelt's speech before the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia on June 27, 1936 - a masterpiece of Democratic and democratic ideals, well worth reading in full:

There is a mysterious cycle in human events. To some generations much is given. Of other generations much is expected. This generation of Americans has a rendezvous with destiny.

In this world of ours, in other lands there are some people, who, in times past, have lived and fought for freedom, and seem to have grown too weary to carry on the fight. They have sold their heritage of freedom for the illusion of a living. They have yielded their democracy.

I believe in my heart that only our success can stir their ancient hope. They begin to know that here in America we are waging a great and successful war. It is not alone a war against want and destitution and economic demoralization. It is more than that; it is a war for the survival of democracy. We are fighting to save a great and precious form of government for ourselves and for the world.

I accept the commission you have tendered me. I join with you. I am enlisted for the duration of the war.


Bonus, 10/2/20, 6 a.m.:

Trump and Melania have come down with Covid-19.

What a coincidence.  A perfect excused absence from all other debates.  Which his team surely realizes would only turn off more voters.

Don't be too quick to feel sorry for him.  He has LIED about everything else in the last four years, why not his own health?  Such a convenient excuse to hole up in his bunker and avoid the press and public till Election Day.

Very clever.  But not, I think, clever enough to fool the American people - the sane majority, that is.


-----

4 comments:

Frank said...

I plan to vote early in person at the county offices using the same ballot as at the polls on election day. I heard that your Texas republican governor has ordered the removal of many ballot drop-off sites and that there will be only ONE drop-off site per county.

This is the most important election in our lifetime. We've been used to making progress, if only in small steps, but moving forward. Who would have thought we would have come to this.

Russ Manley said...

Yes the Rethuglicans got the Gov to close most drop-off sites; this is now going to the TX Supreme Court.

However, that's only for dropping off mail-in ballots - voters can still actually mail those ballots in. AND we can still vote early in person, 7 days a week, October 13-30. There are 40+ early voting locations in our county, not affected by the Gov's order.

So there's still plenty of ways to vote - and to my way of thinking, if you aren't afraid of shopping (with mask) at the grocery store or Wal-Mart every week, you shouldn't be afraid to go vote early. The filthy GOP stunt is merely an annoyance, not a huge obstacle to the vast majority of voters.

Here's a good quote from the Austin Statesman today:
>>Limiting the number of drop-off sites will affect large urban counties, which are strongly Democratic or trending in that direction, and the Texas Democratic Party said Abbott’s new order appeared targeted at a “rising Texas electorate.”

>>“It’s a miscalculation on Abbott’s part,” party spokesman Abhi Rahman said. “Texas Democrats will crawl through broken glass to vote these cheaters out of office.”

And as you said, it's the most important election in our lifetime. I never expected to see a dictator in the White House, and we have to do all we can to stop him.

But beyond Nov. 3rd, we have to find a way to heal this broken country. The division and the hatred and violence are fatal to democracy. We the People must be knit back together as one united nation, not bitter enemies. How to do that, I don't know, but we have to try. You remember what Lincoln said about a house divided.



Davis said...

Deliver us O Lord.

Russ Manley said...

And make haste to help us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails