C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Change of Heart for U. S. Marine


Via Box Turtle Bulletin: Go read this moving epiphany by a Baptist jarhead.  Excerpt:
Sgt. Santiago and I spoke often, if casually. He routinely had one of the highest physical fitness test scores in our unit and never missed a chance to go salsa dancing stateside with fellow Marines, including our senior enlisted Marine and his wife, whom he persuaded to join a few times. He also proudly displayed his Puerto Rican flag in his barracks. Nevertheless, he was a reserved man, quiet, private. I assumed these were inherent personality traits. I didn’t realize that he was hiding something.

I believed I knew the men in my B-hut better than I knew most of my friends at home, yet the man sleeping next door had a secret he dared not reveal for fear of being removed from active duty. It never crossed my mind that he was gay — or that I could have done so much more to be his friend. . . .


4 comments:

Tim said...

Just read the full story, very touching - goes to show it's never too late!

Davis said...

Wow

Stan said...

What a wonderful piece.

Russ Manley said...

I thought so too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails