C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, February 11, 2014

In Memoriam: Shirley Temple Black, 1928-2014


After a fabulous career in Hollywood and later in diplomacy, beloved child star Shirley Temple has died at age 85, which seems so strange to say.

Accepting the Lifetime Achievement Award of the Screen Actors Guild in 2006.



My favorite of her movies is The Little Princess (1939), in which she plays Sara Crewe, a little Victorian girl stranded in a boarding school when her soldier father is reported killed in the Boer War, and thereafter the now-penniless girl must work for her room and board. Cesar Romero and Arthur Treacher play memorable roles as sympathetic friends to Shirley's character. I never knew till now that the movie was filmed in brilliant Technicolor, so I'll have to watch it again - a lovely monument to Shirley's life and career.




2 comments:

Tim said...

That's another light gone out in the firmament. So many already this year.

Russ Manley said...

Yes, and Sid Caesar gone today, I see from the news. It's an odd feeling to outlive so many luminaries who have just always been around.

Related Posts with Thumbnails