C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, February 3, 2014

America Is Beautiful

Yesterday, Coca-Cola aired this ad for the Super Bowl (what is that, anyway - some kind of game show?). Pretty cool ad, it features a gay couple and their kids, among many other representatives of our great American salad bowl.



Coke also made a short behind-the-scenes film about the ad:



I say, three cheers for Coke! I never thought I would live to see a soft-drink company, especially this one headquartered in Atlanta, come out for gay rights. Wow.

2 comments:

Frank said...

Goes to show how nothing is cut and dry (I was going to say black and white) when it comes to how a corporation is perceived.
I've recently read about folks protesting Coke for sponsoring the Sochi Olympics because of Russia's anti-gay policies. I think Coke had done a real nice job with this ad and I think they have a good track record.
Kudos also to Cheerios for their come-back ad featuring the bi-racial family and the little girl negotiating for a puppy when told she would soon have a sibling. Cheerios got a of hate mail after their first ad with this family and I'm so glad that not only did they not back down, but, they came back with integrity - and an even stronger message of diversity.

Russ Manley said...

I agree the Cheerios ad was great, and very cute.

About Coke - the protesters are doing the exact same thing the Tea Party does, demanding absolute, unwavering doctrinal conformity - which I hate.

It's really not the function or purpose of a corporation to swagger into politics or social issues, is it? A little of that, as with these ads, goes a long way.

In any case, absolutely nothing any Western corporation does or says is going to change the slightest thing in Russia, IMO.

Related Posts with Thumbnails