C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sunday Drive: Ashokan Farewell

July 3rd was the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, the high-water mark of the Confederacy and the great turning point in our national history. All that came before flowed into that moment, and all that has happened in these United States since has flowed from it. Jay Ungar composed the haunting and lovely "Ashokan Farewell," which Ken Burns put to such memorable use in his masterpiece of filmmaking, The Civil War - a documentary every American should see at least once.

Why?  Because, as Faulkner said, "The past is not dead.  It's not even past."



1 comment:

Russ Manley said...

Glad you like. But the funny thing is, the composer himself calls it "a Scottish lament written by a Jewish guy from the Bronx." What could be more American?

Related Posts with Thumbnails