C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Ant and the Grasshopper


This old queen recommends another:  this past week I've stumbled across some of Somerset Maugham's dramatized short stories - and they are delightful - in a couple of anthologies viewable on Netflix:  Quartet (1948) and Encore (1951).  There's another one, Trio (1950), which isn't available for streaming, but if you like good old-fashioned whimsy with some occasional gay undertones and subtexts, do try them.

Here is a dramatic reading of the story "The Ant and the Grasshopper," which is beautifully acted in Encore.




Note: I tried to be an ant, really I did. But you either have a talent for something, or you don't. I didn't. The hell of it is, I wasn't a true grasshopper, either. Destined to be just a harmless, pointless roly-poly, I guess.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails