C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Britain's High-Speed Railway

 

A very interesting, well made report on the HS2 project currently under construction in Britain, eventually to link London with cities in the north of England. Of nearly equal interest is the studly presenter, a fine specimen of English manhood in its prime. 

Whether or not this enormous project will be worth the trouble and expense, I venture no judgment. But for those who care about the achievements of the past, here is a delightful little film on the Elizabethan, a train inaugurated in 1953 in honor of the Queen's coronation. It covered the 400 miles between London and Edinburgh in 6 1/2 hours nonstop, at an average speed of just over 60 miles an hour.  Pretty zippy, especially when you consider that there were no motorways (freeways) in Britain at the time.

Railfans will be pleased to note the measures used to minimize delays: track pans and a corridor tender.

The charm of a humorous, rhyming narrative is an added attraction.


-----

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails