C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, May 29, 2020

Obama: This Can't Be Normal


Former President Barack Obama released a statement on his official Twitter account today regarding the murder of George Floyd by Minneapolis police last Monday:

Click to enlarge.


This, apparently, is the song by young Keedron Bryant that Mr. Obama was referring to:




Former Vice-President Joe Biden also called for concerted action and national reform, saying, "the soul of America is at stake":





2 comments:

Frank said...

We usually watch Lester Holt while eating dinner...which is when I saw the footage of the "arrest" and murder of George Floyd. It was all I could do to hold the tears back. I find myself on the verge of tears way too often during the evening news, whether watching the brave health care workers in over-crowded hospitals, black men killed while jogging or riots and fires. What is this world we have made?

Russ Manley said...

Why, this is the long-promised Age of Aquarius, don't you know? Where harmony and understanding abound, and all you need is love. Isn't it a wonderful Golden Age?

Or is it? I haven't watched the murder video because the mere description is too upsetting. In fact, I haven't watched the evening news for many years now for the same reason - though of course the internet can bring it all into view with just a click.

Things have gone far, far wrong. Disgustingly, nauseatingly wrong. It may be that they will come right again - but how and when I have no idea, and I am unable at present to envision the ways and means to that end - the country is far too polarized to listen to voices of reason and moderation - too angry on both ends of the spectrum to desire reconciliation.

I don't know the answers. All I know to do is to keep doing right and thinking right in my small sphere of life, one little candle defying the darkness. Perhaps enough little lights put together could become a great light eventually - but will there be time enough, before things fall apart?





Related Posts with Thumbnails