C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, May 22, 2020

May Meals

We've been eating well as usual during this lockdown period, thanks to M.P.'s creativity, and here are some photos of recent Sunday dinners at our house.  Though frankly, we have gotten so out of sync with the world and the calendar, that lately we have been having them on any day but Sunday!




Starting from the 6 o'clock position, a luscious Cajun dinner of grillades, cheese grits, okra creole, homemade biscuit and butter.  Grillades are strips of round steak; M.P. marinated these in wine and meat tenderizer, then braised them low and slow with onions and peppers to make them perfectly tender and juicy.




M.P.'s famous, made-from-scratch Tiger Butter Cake is moist and creamy, and goes very well with a scoop of ice cream, you bet.



Another day, we had scrumptious fried chicken with glazed carrots, biscuits, and mashed potatoes and gravy.  M.P. made the chicken extra tender by marinating in buttermilk and wine with seasonings, then parboiling before frying.  Yummm.




An experiment:  stuffed baked onions.  Tasty, but we both agreed that it might have been better to stuff the tomatoes with onions instead.



Fabulous homemade cinnamon-swirl cheesecake.  What can I say?




From the 6 o'clock position:  roast pork loin under cream gravy, with bread stuffing in the center, fried Italian green beans at 10 o'clock, then a dab of pepper mayo, another homemade biscuit, sweet-potato-and-cheese casserole, and homemade fried onion rings.  Talk about good!  M.P. made a brilliant discovery:  stuffing the pork loin with bacon makes it come out perfectly moist and tender.



M.P. came across a recipe for homemade chocolate cake made with cocoa, and here is the triple-layer result.  Luscious, but a bit more than we could eat - wish I could have handed each one of you a slice.


4 comments:

Frank said...

As much as I love savory foods, the desserts call me to sinful indulgence. That Tiger Butter Cake looks interesting...where do you get Tiger Butter? It is so hard to find unusual gourmet ingredients in New Mexico...if it ain't green chile, forget it. (Yes, green chile bagles, green chile apple pie, green chile ice cream, etc.)

Davis said...

You truck boys certainly eat well. I wish one of us had the least bit of creativity - it's been one of the hardest parts of isolation - eating the same five or six meals in rotation!

Russ Manley said...

Frank - I'm not sure how M.P. makes the cake exactly - I think he uses a can or two of Cream of Tiger soup to start, but I'm forwarding your question to him for reply.

Davis - Oh my, you fellas are suffering indeed. Our teleporter is out of whack at the moment, unfortunately, so I can't send you a care package, but why not check out bettycrocker.com - they have an endless list of "easy" and even "impossibly easy" recipes that should give you guys some quick relief. I can recommend the Cheeseburger Pie.

Davis said...

We've gotta do something!

Related Posts with Thumbnails