C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Got Presidential Dysfunction?

A witty PSA from Robert Reich:




What I Say:  I don't know, fellas.  Seems like all the hateful, dumbass creeps and jerks who used to sit at the back of the classroom, throwing spitballs and pulling the girls' hair, when they weren't stealing other kids' lunches or beating up sissies behind the gym, are now in control of all three branches of government of the richest, most powerful nation on earth - and they mean to have their way.

They have been planning it for years, like a military operation, gerrymandering all the state legislatures and House seats they could - then selling their souls to the Devil to elect a completely unqualified President.  And now that they have achieved their goals, you think they will just throw up their hands and walk away from all that on account of some little midterm elections?  Seriously?

The fascist revolution was just made complete with the confirmation of Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.  There is now no check whatsoever on the power of the raving right. In less than two years, our republic has been subverted and changed into a New Order under the guise of the old forms, for the present.  That's usually the way it happens, if you'll check your history books.

But in reality, the nation you and I grew up in no longer exists.  The outward appearance of a democratic republic is merely an empty shell now, and everyone is at the mercy of the Trumpocracy.

Despite Robert Reich's optimism, it just seems to me this state of things is not going to end well, or soon.  But I hope I'm wrong.  What do you think?


Update, 10/10/18, 10:30 pm:

And then there's this.


And this, from Mother Jones:

Click to enlarge.

So what good is a so-called free press now?  Is it in fact already co-opted by backhanded means?  Does it matter?  What does matter at this point?

Does anybody care?



4 comments:

Frank said...

Reich is a bit Pollyanna. On the other hand your commentary is eloquently frightening. (Certainly not frighteningly eloquent!) As for me- I keep looking for some Zen wisdom or a belief in Karma to get me through this nightmare.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Does anybody care? That's the right question. The barrage of information about the corruption in this administration is numbing, in many ways. But who will do something about it? And more importantly, WHEN?

xoxo

Frank said...

I don't think there is a lack of "who" will do something...what has been elusive is "what can be done that is decisively effective." If someone had an answer, some"who" would have done it already. The Indivisibles seem to have fizzled, the women's march is all but forgotten, the Parkland students are not in the news, the Administration is beyond teflon, maybe kevlar. No one has found the kryptonite that can bring this Administration and the republicans to their knees.

As for the Dems...there has not emerged a charismatic leader. Something we democrats seem to need more than ever. A charismatic leader with Kryptonite.

Russ Manley said...

Cue Jimmy Olsen: "This is a job for Superman!"

Related Posts with Thumbnails