C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, June 28, 2014

Tired Old Queen at the Movies: Gods and Monsters


Steve Hayes reviews the 1998 film:
The underside of Gay Hollywood history is examined with love, sensitivity, and a lot of humor in Bill Condon's brilliant Gods and Monsters. Starring Ian McKellen as veteran gay Brit director James Whale and Brendan Fraser as a beautiful young gardener he takes a fancy to, the film deals with the relationship that develops between these two vastly different men, under the watchful eye of Lynn Redgrave as Whale's overprotective German housekeeper. The Oscar-winning screenplay examines the price that was paid for being an open homosexual in old Hollywood along with the loss of one's creativity, livelihood, and spirit as a result. It's funny, touching, and ultimately unforgettable.



3 comments:

Tim said...

It certainly is a great film, and Brendan Fraser has never looked better IMHO.

Russ Manley said...

I saw it several years ago on DVD and enjoyed it.

Davis said...

Brendan Fraser was so studly in this fascinating film. Yummmmmmm.

Related Posts with Thumbnails