C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Mylar, My Gosh

This publicity film from 1955 may be too tedious for some of you, especially if science is not your strong suit - your Head Trucker is not a scientist either, and found it puzzling in some respects. But oh my gosh, my golly, what an amazing scientific development Mylar was. I thought Mylar was just the name of those funky thin, gold space blankets. But as Wikipedia informs me, sixty years later it is still an extremely useful product and is used in many, many applications today - including some we take for granted in our homes.

And just think: this miracle was devised and produced without the aid of computers at all. Or if any computers were used, they were full of vacuum tubes, were programmed with punched cards, and took up the space of an average house.  But mostly it was due to sheer human brainpower, ideas and formulas scratched on paper with pencil.  Wow.



2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Sounds like its in everything, doesn't it?

Russ Manley said...

Yup. Who knew?

Related Posts with Thumbnails