C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, June 17, 2013

House of Lords Debates Amendments to Same-Sex Marriage Bill


The House of Lords passed the bill at second reading a couple of weeks ago by a vote of 390-148.  Now they are are debating, for the first of three days, proposed amendments to the bill, many of which are intended to weaken the bill.  Attendance is low since there's no vote today. 

Update, 5:10 p.m.:  The noble lords have adjourned, but you can watch the entire day's proceedings here.   The debate on the amendments begins at the 33:00 mark.

It's very interesting to listen to a calm, civilized debate on the subject.  Also very interesting to see what the pro- and anti-gay people look and sound like on the other side of the water. But a rather shocking sign of the times: at about the 55:00 mark, while Lord Armstrong of Ilminster is speaking, you can see a noble lord seated behind him texting on a small phone. Which leaves your Head Trucker speechless.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails