C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunday Drive: By the Rivers of Babylon

I heard this song one time on television some thirty years ago and immediately fell in love with it.  And then for all those many years could never find it again, and didn't know who had recorded it.

But the words weren't hard to remember - taken from Psalm 137, and the bridge from Psalm 19.  Plus the tune was so catchy, I couldn't forget it.  Happily, a couple of years ago I rediscovered it on YouTube:  so  here you go.  Seems appropriate after your Head Trucker's woods-and-water excursion this week.  And I'll just bet this will have you toe-tapping around the house this Sunday morning too.  Enjoy.

4 comments:

Frank said...

Had a similar response to the song as rendered by the Melodians and Jimmy Cliff in the album The Harder They Come, circa 1972. That was when I was more open minded. I'm less so now that I associate Jamaica and Reggae with anti-gay vitriol, which is sad for both me and the Jamaican culture.

(my word verification here is "singstil" - scary!)

Stan said...

I've always loved this type of music and this song.
I was raised in the boring, stuffy, old Catholic church. UGH!
Even the priests were boring!

Russ Manley said...

Frank - yeah there's something just real uncanny about them word verification things . . . .

Stan - I hear ya. Musically the Catholic and Episcopal churches are an awful bland diet. You have to get down at least to Methodist level to find some hymns you can really move-and-groove to.

Unknown said...

I have always loved this song, my Favorite is Mary's Boy Child. My good Catholic Mom, thought it was wrong....I rocked the house to these songs always...and still do

Related Posts with Thumbnails