C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, June 26, 2020

Happy Pride 2020


Imagine if there was a President who celebrated Gay Pride . . .




A few dates to remember in the progress of gay rights over the last half-century:

June 28 - July 3, 1969: Stonewall Riots, New York City

June 28, 1970: First Gay Pride marches, NYC and other cities

May 20, 1996:  Romer v. Evans

June 26, 2003: Lawrence v. Texas

December 22, 2010: Don't Ask, Don't Tell repealed

September 20, 2011: DADT repeal implemented

June 26, 2013: United States v. Windsor and Hollingsworth v. Perry

June 26, 2015: Obergefell v. Hodges

June 15, 2020: Bostock v. Clayton County


Today's quote:
I do have things I would like to see adopted on behalf of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people:  they include the right to marry the individual of our choice; the right to serve in the military to defend our country; and the right to a job based solely on our own qualifications.

I acknowledge that this is an agenda, but I do not think any self-respecting radical in history would have considered advocating people’s rights to get married, join the army, and earn a living as a terribly inspiring revolutionary platform.
--Congressman Barney Frank (D-Mass.), 2008


Bonus: The Night Michelle Escaped from the White House





2 comments:

Frank said...

We have come a long way...despite the forces of hate and prejudice that would have us return to invisibility. Leon and I never dreamed of, or actually had any desire to, marry...even when Connecticut OKed it. But when it became clear after US vs. Windsor that a CT marriage would be legal nation-wide, we though it was a good proposal. Celebrating 6 years in October.

Imagine, indeed, a president....

Russ Manley said...

Good for y'all. It really is breathtaking when you stop to remember just how far we have come in a single lifetime. When I was in the college gay rap group, I heard someone opine that one day gays would be able to marry. I remember thinking at the time, oh you're crazy - that will never happen, it's just a happy thought.

But what did I know?

Related Posts with Thumbnails