C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, November 21, 2016

Liberal Redneck: Trump and Turkey

Well guys, I posted a lot of things last week, and I could post a lot more - but frankly, I'm quickly reaching my load limit of outraged, despairing, OMG-what-a-nightmare, the-fascists-are-coming news posts. In times of tragedy, there's only so much grief and pain your heart can stand; and then you have to back off a bit, get quiet, and try to consider the bigger picture and the way forward.

At this point, all the news and all the jabber boils down to: yes, the future looks pretty damn scary, but we have to live it one day at a time and just do the best we can to get through it unscathed. All else is unknown at this point, and it won't help you or anyone else to spin out and crash now when your help and talents may be needed later. So just chill for a while, guys, and meanwhile focus on what's really important in your lives, and how you can make that better, here and now.  We don't know what tomorrow will bring, so take care of today.

My darling Mama used to chide me when I'd get into a fret about something or other, saying, "Don't worry so much! Ninety percent of what you worry about never happens." As I've grown from youth to old man, I've come to realize that she was, of course, right.

I'm not going to stop posting but I think I will throttle back a bit on the Blue Truck here. You guys can check out Google News as easily as I can, and there are specific gay-news links in the sidebar at the right that cover stories pertinent to People Like Us. I never have tried to cover all the news, all the time in this blog. I'll go on posting, as usual, a highly personal selection of tidbits and newsbites that arouse my interest or strike my fancy.

And for the record, I may not agree with every single thought or phrase in the things I post, and there might be more to the story than is reported; but in what I post there's usually some point that I think is worth pondering or adding to the store of one's knowledge. The more you know, the more you grow; and as Socrates famously pointed out, the wise man is the one who knows that he does not know everything.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
--Max Ehrmann, "Desiderata"
That said, here's comedian Trae Crowder in his typically vulgar character, giving his take on the meaning of the election results:




2 comments:

Davis said...

Thanking your Momma for reminding us.

Davis said...

Love this guy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails