C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, August 25, 2016

National Park Service Centennial


The National Park Service turns 100 today.  In 2009, 320 million people, nearly equal to the entire population of the United States, visited one or another of the 413 parks, monuments, battlefields, recreation areas, and historic sites. The annual budget for the Park Service is about $3 billion.

1916 map of the then-existing national parks and railroad routes to them, in a time when paved roads were still very few and far between.  Click to enlarge.

1938 poster for Yellowstone National Park.



2 comments:

Frank said...

As I understand it, if the Republicans have their way all National Parks would be sold off or "privatized" or cease to exist altogether. What a disturbing thought.

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/07/08/koch-brothers-ramping-eliminate-national-parks-seize-federal-lands.html

Russ Manley said...

What a disturbing article that was. A vision of a twisted Orwellian future where it's not the state that owns and controls everything, but the ultra-rich. Yeesh!

And yet from a quarter to half of the U.S. population right now are ready and willing to elect just such an oligarch to reign over them and reduce them to a kind of anthill slavery. Sad, sad, sad.

Related Posts with Thumbnails