C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday Drive: Zadok the Priest

Including scenes from Her Majesty's Coronation in 1953, when this anthem was also played (substituting, of course, "the Queen" for "the King" in the lyrics):




To all my British truckbuddies out there: you do realize - don't you? - that she's done all this, all these many years, not for herself - but for you.




If we all go forward together with an unwavering faith, a high courage, and a quiet heart, we shall be able to make of this ancient commonwealth, which we all love so dearly, an even grander thing - more free, more prosperous, more happy and a more powerful influence for good in the world - than it has been in the greatest days of our forefathers.

To accomplish that we must give nothing less than the whole of ourselves. There is a motto which has been borne by many of my ancestors - a noble motto, "I serve". Those words were an inspiration to many bygone heirs to the Throne when they made their knightly dedication as they came to manhood. I cannot do quite as they did.

But through the inventions of science I can do what was not possible for any of them. I can make my solemn act of dedication with a whole Empire listening. I should like to make that dedication now. It is very simple.

I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.

But I shall not have strength to carry out this resolution alone unless you join in it with me, as I now invite you to do: I know that your support will be unfailingly given. God help me to make good my vow, and God bless all of you who are willing to share in it.

6 comments:

Tim said...

And not just for us Limeys, but for 16 other Commonwealth Nations as well!

Russ Manley said...

Quite right. Sixteen other Realms, and God knows how many Commonwealth republics too. I don't know how she keeps up with it all.

Josh Thomas said...

The Zadok video certainly shows me again that the religion of the British people was totally made for Gay men.

Happy Jubilee, Russ!

Russ Manley said...

Ha, ain't that the truth!

Happy jubilee back at ya, Josh.

Davis said...

She is a truly magnificent woman

Russ Manley said...

She certainly is, and a marvelous queen. too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails