C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, June 24, 2011

New York Senate Votes for Equal Marriage



About damn time.  Almost 42 years to the day since the Stonewall riots in New York City, June 28, 1969.

Thank you, New York!  This will help make the inevitable happen more quickly in the rest of the nation.


The Empire State Building tonight:


Honk to Joe.My.God.


And this twist on an iconic photograph, from The Advocate.  Love it.



Update: Governor Cuomo has already signed the bill into law, a little before midnight New York time. Now that was fucking fast, way to go, Gov.

Weddings will begin 30 days from now.

8 comments:

DeepBlue said...

BRAVO!
crossing fingers does work! ;)

Russ Manley said...

Merci, Quebec!

Craig said...

It's about time... but isn't it about time this all happened at a federal level rather than just a state level?
One step at a time I suppose?

Russ Manley said...

Yes, it is . . . but the political reality here is that the states regulate marriage, not the federal government. Though the repeal of DOMA is just possible . . . something Mr. Obama said he would support when he was campaigning for the job.

Who knows if he will or not.

Ray's Cowboy said...

Do you think Texas will ever get it?

Ray

Russ Manley said...

No I don't Ray. It's a mighty big state with a lot of mighty small minds. I believe Texas and the Deep South will be the last holdouts, until some court ruling or federal law makes them change. Just like with the Civil Rights movement in the 1960's.

And that probably won't happen for another 15-20 years or so. Sad.

DeepBlue said...

But it will happen. Because of guys like you Russ and like Ray who is involved in his community in Dallas working hard at making it better.
It will!
We might not see it nor benefit from it, but we must keep faith for the sake of the young generation of gay men who are looking up to us for hope, advice and trust. :)
Cheers and Hugs
Jon

"Sir" said...

Yay!

All those Krazy Kristyuns'll be out in force.

Related Posts with Thumbnails