C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, February 8, 2024

Colonial Cookery

M.P. is taking a little holiday from cooking this week, so the other night he asked me to come up with something for our dinner.  I was glad to oblige, and after a few seconds' thought, grabbed a couple of frozen chicken legs and dropped them in the crockpot, then poured about half a small bottle of BBQ sauce over them.  

Six hours later, without further attention, they were super tender and delicious, meat falling off the bones, no fuss or muss required.  To round out the meal, I heated up a can of collard greens on the stove, also a can of candied yams, and made some Jiffy Mix cornbread muffins (just add an egg and a splash of milk).  None of this required any culinary skill, of course, but M.P. gobbled it down like there was no tomorrow.  I'm always glad when I can fix him something he enjoys, when he is always cooking up wonderful things for me.

It occurs to me that the crockpot is the modern-day equivalent of the Dutch oven, which has been a very handy piece of cookware for centuries. So here is a playlist of Dutch oven recipes from John Townsend, the go-to 18th century expert, who really knows what he is doing when it comes to colonial-era cookery.  Enjoy - and thank your lucky stars we don't have to cook over an open fire anymore!

P.S. - we do have a 5-quart cast iron Dutch oven for large recipes; but many times we prefer to use the smaller 3-quart chicken fryer, so called.  I call it a deep skillet.  Very handy for all sorts of things, and it has a convenient handle, unlike the Dutch oven.

-----

2 comments:

Huston said...

I followed the link to Townsend's. What an unusual store! And unusual male models to, LOL. I plan to peruse it and perhaps get some esoteric items I never knew o needed.
HUSTON

Russ Manley said...

Ha, ha. Yes, they have quite a selection of colonial-era costumes and tools, etc. That stuff is only mildly interesting to me - but the history of cookery is always a tasty subject.

Related Posts with Thumbnails