C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, January 25, 2024

In Memoriam: Charles Osgood, 1933-2024

Your Head Trucker has fond memories of veteran CBS newsman Charles Osgood, who died at his home in New Jersey yesterday, age 91.  He was a thorough professional who delivered the news along with a little something extra - warmhearted humor.  And often a charming poem, a rare thing to hear on a news program, as his trademark bow ties were rare to see.

 

Osgood will, of course, long be remembered for his brilliant contribution to American speech as the man who popularized the acronym POSSLQ: Persons of the Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters. Or at least, I had never heard of it until he broadcast a poem about it way back when:

 

And yet, Osgood had deep thoughts to share, too - and here is a most appropriate example:


-----

2 comments:

Davis said...

A piece of civilization in this country is gone.

Russ Manley said...

Yes, indeed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails