C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, December 31, 2023

Sunday Drive: You'll Never Walk Alone / I Believe

As performed by the Righteous Brothers, 1965:


Well, fellas, another year has come and gone.  Strange to say, it's now more than half a century since I graduated from high school, more than 40 years since I finished college.  I'm sure many of my truckbuddies share my astonishment at the simple fact of having lived so long, sailed so far beyond the golden days of youth we hoped would last forever.  But after crossing seven decades, are we any wiser, any better, any happier here on this little planet?

I had intended to write a post today about changing times, the parlous state of the world, and what an awful mess it is.  But despite my strong objections to the folly, stupidity, and cruelty of left and right alike, this old man just doesn't have the heart to write that essay.  I could point out many things done wrong or going wrong - but what good would it do?  As in every era, the world is running on as it pleases, and no amount of admonition from me will make any difference.  One might as well try to halt the ebb and flow of the tides.

What I can do, however, is to live out my faith here in this little bungalow with M.P., doing my part to keep us going in good health, good cheer, and modest comfort - grateful for all the quiet blessings we have.  So instead of weighting this blog with dreary lamentations, perhaps it is better just to keep silent about the follies and sorrows of this rotten old world, and instead to offer a happy or hopeful thought now and then:  flowers by the wayside, stars in the night.


Simply to brighten the corner where you are is a good thought, and a useful one, especially for an old man who doesn't get out of the house much.  So to all my truckbuddies and drive-by readers, I wish a New Year of peace and happiness and hope for a better future.  

Thanks for riding along with me in the Blue Truck.  God bless you all.


-----

2 comments:

Davis said...

Lovely and best wishes to you both.

Russ Manley said...

Thanks, buddy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails