C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Fifteen Years of the Blue Truck

Rainbow over a Texas highway.

It's hard to believe, but I published my first post in this blog 15 years ago today at this hour.  I started it on a whim, with no particular plan, and have continued it on the same principle ever since.  For a long time, it was a convenient vehicle for my ranting and raving about the state of the world and the sadly misguided people in it - to put it mildly - but the last few years I have mainly given up ranting, which serves no purpose (good advice is never welcome to misbehaving ears) and keep blogging just to have something constructive to do in retirement.  I know it is no great shakes, certainly - your Head Trucker has never been a crowd-pleaser - but it pleases me, if no one else, and that's enough.

I appreciate more than I can say the kind attention of my faithful truckbuddies, who have stuck with me all these years, the ones who regularly comment and those who rarely do so, but merely lurk in the corners.  Being effectively housebound at this late age, and resolutely opposed on general principles to what is called social media - a corrosive pestilence that will have to be suppressed sooner or later - the Blue Truck gives me a happy connection from time to time with like-minded friends, and that's a very nice thing to have.

To celebrate this anniversary, I reprint here from my second blog post an excerpt from E. M. Forster's essay "What I Believe," written in 1938 when the dictators and their rat-faced minions were preparing to carve up the world among themselves, bringing death and destruction to millions all around the globe.  Thank God for the stalwart leaders and peoples of the democracies who stood up to them and thwarted their evil plans.  We who are now old men have lived our whole lives in the long, sunlit afternoon of the postwar order - which, alas, seems daily to be coming apart at the seams, pulled and ripped in all directions by extremists and fanatics of the right and of the left.

In our fathers' time, the democracies were the golden mean, the middle path between the two extremes; and when the democracies finally realized there was nothing else to do but fight or die, they discovered their enormous strength and used it to subdue the wicked and restore peace, liberty, and justice to the world.  But is there still a middle way to be found?  Does anybody even want to find it?

I have my thoughts, but this Cassandra prefers not to waste breath by speaking them.  Nor is it safe to speak freely anymore about any but the most trivial topics.  Instead, I offer this excerpt from Forster's essay, which reflects something of my own thinking.  I don't agree with Forster on everything, but this passage resonates in my own heart.

"The victory of our queer race . . ."

I believe in aristocracy, though - if that is the right word, and if a democrat may use it. Not an aristocracy of power, based upon rank and influence, but an aristocracy of the sensitive, the considerate and the plucky. Its members are to be found in all nations and classes, and all through the ages, and there is a secret understanding between them when they meet. They represent the true human tradition, the one permanent victory of our queer race over cruelty and chaos. Thousands of them perish in obscurity, a few are great names. They are sensitive for others as well as for themselves, they are considerate without being fussy, their pluck is not swankiness but the power to endure, and they can take a joke. 

I give no examples - it is risky to do that - but the reader may as well consider whether this is the type of person he would like to meet and to be, and whether (going further with me) he would prefer that this type should not be an ascetic one. I am against asceticism myself. I am with the old Scotsman who wanted less chastity and more delicacy. I do not feel that my aristocrats are a real aristocracy if they thwart their bodies, since bodies are the instruments through which we register and enjoy the world. Still, I do not insist. This is not a major point. It is clearly possible to be sensitive, considerate and plucky and yet be an ascetic too, and if anyone possesses the first three qualities I will let him in! 

On they go - an invincible army, yet not a victorious one. The aristocrats, the elect, the chosen, the Best People - all the words that describe them are false, and all attempts to organize them fail. Again and again Authority, seeing their value, has tried to net them and to utilize them as the Egyptian Priesthood or the Christian Church or the Chinese Civil Service or the Group Movement, or some other worthy stunt. But they slip through the net and are gone; when the door is shut, they are no longer in the room; their temple, as one of them remarked, is the holiness of the Heart's affections, and their kingdom, though they never possess it, is the wide-open world.

Hugs and good wishes to all my truckbuddies - thanks for riding along in the Blue Truck.

-----

8 comments:

Frank said...

Happy Anniversary Russ! It has been a pleasure following your blog and getting to know you from afar. And I appreciate your checking in on RRebel and offering your insights as well. I have not been as consistent as I used to be with either commenting or with my own blog. Seems like I have less to say about everything. There was a poster some years ago that said something to the effect of: “Blogging. Never have so many said so much about so little to so few.” I always keep that in mind given my 5 or 6 “followers”. Anyhow, Keep on truckin’.

Russ Manley said...

I like the quote - and how true it is! Like you, I also have less to say these days about things - shouting into the wind, it seems - why bother? Better to stay calm and not get all wound up about stuff I can't control - if possible.

We've never met in the flesh - probably it's just as well - I remember from the Personals days that correspondents are never quite what you imagine them to be. But I count you as a real friend, Frank, and am grateful for your empathy and generosity over the years. Always glad to have you riding along with me here in the Blue Truck!

Michael said...

Though I don't comment a lot, I do read your posts and I have appreciated your take on things. I started my blog in 2011 which seems all at once like yesterday as well as an eternity ago. I think blogs are great as the writing becomes part of your history. Keep on truckin'.

Russ Manley said...

Thanks, Michael.

Tim said...

Congratulations on your anniversary, Russ. 15 years - the time we spend in education, the time we transition from child to adult, 3 Presidents...It goes by so quickly! So, thank you, dear friend, and a toast to the next anniversary!

PS Is the Blue Truck electric now? I hope not! Grin.

Russ Manley said...

Thanks for all your kind words and wishes, Tim. Yes, a lot has happened in 15 years - too much of it going from bad to worse. But the friendships I have made here in the Blue Truck have kept me going - more than you know - through all weathers and road conditions. I wish I could hand you and all my truckbuddies a bottle of bubbly to celebrate with me! Thanks for riding along, old chum.

P.S. - Electric? Certainly not! That would be rank apostasy here in Texas.

Davis said...

The blue truck means more to me than you know. I thank you for expressing your beautiful soul with us.

Russ Manley said...

I'm not sure my soul is any more beautiful than my old body - and the less said about that, the better - but what a kind and lovely thing to say, Davis. Bless you - and thanks for riding along in the Blue Truck all these years.

Related Posts with Thumbnails