C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Coronation Invitation

 The invitations for the Coronation are splendid:

Click to enlarge.

According to Buckingham Palace:

The invitation for the Coronation has been designed by Andrew Jamieson, a heraldic artist and manuscript illuminator whose work is inspired by the chivalric themes of Arthurian legend. Mr Jamieson is a Brother of the Art Workers’ Guild, of which The King is an Honorary Member.

The original artwork for the invitation was hand-painted in watercolour and gouache, and the design will be reproduced and printed on recycled card, with gold foil detailing. Central to the design is the motif of the Green Man, an ancient figure from British folklore, symbolic of spring and rebirth, to celebrate the new reign. The shape of the Green Man, crowned in natural foliage, is formed of leaves of oak, ivy and hawthorn, and the emblematic flowers of the United Kingdom. 

As a help to my fellow Americans, those emblematic flowers are the Tudor rose for England, the thistle for Scotland, the shamrock for (Northern) Ireland, and the daffodil for Wales - though for some strange reason, the Welsh much prefer the humble, inartistic leek.  Go figure.

More than 2,000 invited guests will attend the Coronation service on May 6 in Westminster Abbey.

Bonus:  Your Head Trucker's spies - who are everywhere - have found evidence that the King himself as a wee lad of 4-and-a-half received an invitation to his royal mama's Coronation in 1953 - and isn't it marvelous:

Click to enlarge.

Prince Charles at the 1953 Coronation, seated between his grandmama
and Aunt Margaret.

-----

4 comments:

Tim said...

Oh, you’ve got yours too?

Russ Manley said...

But of course. Hand-signed by the E. M.

Davis said...

Alas, it appears I've been struck off the list.

Russ Manley said...

Oh dear, I'm sure it's just an oversight. Telegraph the Earl Marshall at once! And tell him you're a close personal friend of mine. That should do it.

If all else fails, you can squeeze in between Tim and me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails