C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, February 28, 2022

"Mama, this is so hard" - A Soldier's Last Words

In an emergency session of the United Nations General Assembly today, Ukraine's ambassador reads texts from a Russian soldier to his mother shortly before he was killed - dying for a monstrous lie.


My heart aches for the Russian parents who are already losing their children in this vicious and appalling war, just as it aches for the civilians and the people of Ukraine. But when it comes to the Russian leadership that chose this path of violence, and I stress chose, this path of violence and aggression, there can be no possible excuse.

Never in all my study, my memory, of politics and international affairs have I seen so clear a distinction between right and wrong, between good and evil, between light and dark. And that is the real reason why Ukraine is our neighbour today.

And by the way, I say to all the countries around the world who may only just be waking up to the horror of what is going on – I say to everybody around the world, that is why Ukraine should be your neighbour, too.

--British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, in an address at the Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral in London yesterday. 

Cf. the Parable of the Good Samaritan.

-----

2 comments:

Frank said...

Leon and I watch the news, we ache in our hearts, we wonder not only about the Ukrainian people but also about the Russian soldiers who are Putin's Pawns in this deadly game of chess he is playing with otherwise peaceful, innocent people. Living in this new world order where evil and horror and hate and lies and power and violence and irreverence have taken hold is not healthy for the human spirit. I can only hope that somehow this will all implode on those who thrive on spewing their toxic breath on the rest of us.

Russ Manley said...

I hear you. All the world is horrified at the rape of Ukraine, but at the same time don't dare to actually strike down the killer with a knife at her throat. Now we can understand how the Europeans let Hitler get away with so much before declaring war on him. A horrible, terrible dilemma. I will blog more about this later today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails