C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, January 8, 2021

Who Saved America?

Since Wednesday's attempted coup, it seems to me that the mood of the whole country has changed; at least the failed assault on democracy has clarified some formerly die-hard Trump enablers' minds.  You know the ship is going down when the rats start jumping overboard, and plenty are scrambling away from the S. S. Trump even as I write, it seems.  

I can't compete with the news media in reporting all that is happening in Washington and elsewhere today, but I will say this:  despite some woe-is-us editorials I've seen, your Head Trucker is confident that all shall be well in America.  Our democracy was jumped by some muggers the other day and took a few body blows, but did not go to the mat.  The Constitutional order held; the will of the People was honored by the vast majority of members of Congress, doing their duty according to law.  

Your Head Trucker will admit that he wept when Mike Pence announced that Biden and Harris had been duly elected the next President and Vice President of the United States.  The system worked - not because it is perfect or because we are perfect - but because fundamentally decent men and women would not let it fail, even in the face of armed attack.  In fact, with only a handful of exceptions, our Senators and Representatives on both sides of the aisle seemed to surmount their ordeal with renewed determination to preserve and defend the Constitution of the United States.  I'm sure I am not the only ordinary citizen who feels we owe them a great debt of gratitude.

Already, a new wind arises in this nation, dispelling the fog and miasma that oppressed us.  The sun is rising, the land is bright, a new day has begun.  Let us walk forward together in trust and hope, and fear not.  The road ahead may be steep, but take heart:  it leads us onward and upward again.

But let us not forget what just happened - and what might have happened.  For the record, here are some scenes and voices worth remembering, for one reason or another. History will judge who the true patriots were.

 

 And finally, on his Wednesday night show, satirist Stephen Colbert provided a scathing summation of the day's events:


-----

3 comments:

Frank said...

I will be brief: The festering boil may have burst on Wednesday but the infection runs deep. The news stories coming out about the cult members remains frightening and threatening. And the GOP members of congress are underwhelming in their condemnations of both the events on Wednesday and #45. Unfortunately the Feast of the Epiphany escaped many on the Hill.

Russ Manley said...

I appreciate your last remark. It has only just now struck me how ironic that the attack on our government occurred on Epiphany - and it certainly was a day of revealing, of discovery. Not of the divine, but of the devilish.

I thank God it turned out well in the end and casualties, though grievous, were not many. (If a disorganized mob could do that much damage so quickly, think what an organized force could have done - horrible thought.)

And in the grand scheme of things, I will venture to call it a blessing in disguise - now there is NO doubt of shithead's true character and intentions - no excuse left for putting up with his lies. He is a monster determined to destroy the body politic and must be excised from it. Some GOP Congresspeeps have already awakened from the spell - I think others will in the coming days as his downfall proceeds.

He has never faced the consequences of his bad actions in his whole life - now he MUST be made to suffer them, and so must all who helped him incite that mob. The rioters MUST be tracked down and punished to the furthest extent of the law. To echo what Sen. McConnell said even as the mob was advancing on the Hill, if we do not stop these attacks on our government now, it will put our democracy in a death spiral. Prescient words!

But I think enough people are "woke" now to the despicable facts of Trumpism, and a new day has begun after a dark night. Let there be light.

Davis said...

Let there be light indeed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails