C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, July 10, 2020

What I'm Watching: Interview with Sidney Poitier

Sidney Poitier
Sidney Poitier in 2000.

Your Head Trucker prefers history and biography for light reading and leisure viewing, but not too often do I come across something worth sharing that seems to fit the format of the Blue Truck.

Usually, I post only short videos on this blog - who has time for more than a couple of soundbites in this modern world?  But apart from news of the day, too often frightfully depressing, it's not always easy to find short videos that are worth recommending.  So here is the first of what may become a feature on the Blue Truck:  a longer video that might take more than one sitting to get through, but which is entertaining or noteworthy for one reason or another.

I'll start off with this 2009 interview with renowned actor Sidney Poitier, from the American Academy of Achievement - an organization I never heard of before now. Among other incidents, his experience at age 15 coming to America from his native Bahamas - a majority-black British colony - and his encounters with American racism are most interesting - starting at about the 1:13 mark.





2 comments:

Davis said...

Thank you, this is fantastic.

Russ Manley said...

You're welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails