C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, May 13, 2019

In Memoriam: Doris Day (1922-2019)


Doris Day, the beloved singer, dancer, actress, and comedienne - and one of the Pork Boys' all-time favorites - has died at her home in Carmel, California, at the age of 97.  God rest her soul.  Although she was one of the brightest lights and greatest talents of the twentieth century, her personal life was unfulfilling to some extent, and she spent the last thirty years in seclusion, far from the bright lights of Hollywood, having quiet dinners at home with old friends and running her animal-welfare foundation,

She occasionally granted telephone interviews, however, including one with the Hollywood Reporter on the occasion of her birthday last month.

Charles Osgood summed up her life and career in this segment of CBS News Sunday Morning in 2008:




Here are a few of her greatest hits to remind my truckbuddies of her incomparably lovely golden voice that now swells the angel chorus above, as we may piously believe:

Sentimental Journey, 1945, with Les Brown and His Band of Renown




It's Magic, 1948, from Romance on the High Seas




Secret Love, 1953, from Calamity Jane




Que Sera, Sera, 1956 - which became her theme song - from The Man Who Knew Too Much




Pillow Talk, 1959, from the eponymous motion picture, which earned Doris an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress




4 comments:

Michael said...

Thanks for sharing all of the clips with Doris Day. Certainly a trip down memory lane...

Russ Manley said...

You're welcome.

Davis said...

What a glorious voice.

Russ Manley said...

Indeed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails