C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, April 23, 2019

The Pork Boys Do Easter, 2019



We had a grand Easter dinner on Sunday--wish you boys could have been there, because M.P. cooked up a feast to remember.
Le Menu

Deviled eggs

French onion soup

Roast leg of lamb
Mint jelly
Brown gravy

Garlic mashed potato soufflé
Pea salad à la Texas
Cabbage rolls

Bunny buns and butter

Lemon mousse

White Zinfandel
(Winking Owl, California, 2019)

Beer
Cola
Coffee

A more perfect, more delicious meal could not be had anywhere in Texas, I gar-on-tee. Or anywhere else, with the possible exception of certain parts of Louisiana. Here are a few pics to show you what I mean.

Deviled eggs - a favorite treat of the Pork Boys at any time

A simple soupe a l'oignon, made from scratch 

A big, beautiful, richly flavored leg of lamb, marinated in wine and herbs for two days, then roasted slowly for hours, stuffed with croutons, garlic, onions, celery, and half a dozen fresh herbs out of the garden.  Superbe! 

The roast carved and ready to serve with mint jelly, of course.  You never tasted anything so tender and succulent, fellas.  The camera unfortunately doesn't show the fine mist of fragrant, savory steam rising from the hot roast just pulled from the oven.  M.P. really outdid himself on this.  Magnifique!

M.P.'s latest improvement on garlic mashed potatoes:  a souffle made with egg whites and whipped cream.  Can you say light and fluffy?  Oh my!

Pea salad, a Texas favorite made with sweet peas, minced onion, crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese, and mayonnaise.  Boy howdy, it's good.

Cabbage rolls stuffed with minced ham and sweet potatoes, covered with melted cheddar.  Yum!

Bunny buns - M.P.'s whimsical presentation of homemade dinner rolls, hot, soft, and delicious with butter

Finally, the incredibly delicious dessert:  Lemon mousse - a new invention of M.P.'s, made with egg yolks, cream, and lemon juice, topped with a mound of whipped cream and a slice of lemon - so light, so sweet, so tangy, so--incroyable!

And something extra:

Mick made Easter-egg cookies for his grandchildren again this year, a labor of love which involves mixing up half a dozen bowls of cookie dough in different colors.  But they're oh so good, rather like shortbread.  We didn't eat these after that divine lemon mousse - which would have been a sin - but we have this plate to snack on during the coming week.


4 comments:

John Going Gently said...

that garlic mash has lifted my spirits

Russ Manley said...

Glad to hear it.

Davis said...

All I can say is WOW when I look at that and Bunny Buns to boot! Is mint jelly a Southern thin? We make a mint sauce for lamb.

Russ Manley said...

Mint is of course de rigueur with lamb, but I don't know that mint jelly is a Southern thing in particular. My mom always used it, though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails