C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Groovin' with the Greeks

Ancient Greek rocker auditioning for Athenian Idol

Have you ever wondered what ancient Greek music sounded like?  I did - but we were told in Music Appreciation 101, which I took at only a slightly later point in history, that it was impossible to know because (1) they had no tape recorders back then, and (2) they couldn't be arsed to write down the scores.  So I gave up wondering and focused my mind on more pressing mysteries, like modern poetry and passing that damn algebra class.

But it is a true saying that in the unending cycles of Time, all things old are new again, eventually.  Point 1 above remains true, so far as present knowledge goes, but Point 2 apparently was misinformation.

For lo and behold, now comes an Oxford professor who believes - nay, asserts unequivocally - that here at the end of all the ages, he has unlocked the musical sounds of antiquity for us to enjoy.  And perhaps he has.  Here is a truly fascinating video he made recently that will give you an earful of ancient Greek chart-toppers:



I am no musician, so in my ignorance, I dare not presume to comment on the technical aspects of this rediscovered music. But no doubt it will soon be heard on American Top 40, and why not? Sounds no worse than the other stuff the younger generation dotes on these days. I can't wait till Ancient Greece: The Musical arrives on Broadway. With roller skates and laser lights, no doubt.

Rockin' out!

Apparently some kind of bagpipe player with a rather peculiar tether string

Won't you take me to Funky Town?

Party dude came home singing from the drinking contest, helped by his handy servant boy who holds up an empty wine jug for Papi to pee in.
I'm not making this up.

Old goat making his move on a handsome flute player -
"Here, let me teach you how to blow it."


Related Posts with Thumbnails