C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, November 20, 2014

Obama's Speech on Immigration


A very fine address.  I was moved by these words from his conclusion, emphasis mine:
Scripture tells us that we shall not oppress a stranger, for we know the heart of a stranger –- we were strangers once, too.

My fellow Americans, we are and always will be a nation of immigrants. We were strangers once, too. And whether our forebears were strangers who crossed the Atlantic, or the Pacific, or the Rio Grande, we are here only because this country welcomed them in, and taught them that to be an American is about something more than what we look like, or what our last names are, or how we worship. What makes us Americans is our shared commitment to an ideal -– that all of us are created equal, and all of us have the chance to make of our lives what we will.

That’s the country our parents and grandparents and generations before them built for us. That’s the tradition we must uphold. That’s the legacy we must leave for those who are yet to come.

Thank you. God bless you. And God bless this country we love.
Full text here.

4 comments:

Frank said...

Thanks Russ for posting this, I missed it last night. (Do you ever sleep?)

As always, Obama is very dignified and presidential. Makes the Republicans look like the spoiled children they are.

Russ Manley said...

Yes, when Obama has his game on he is a most eloquent and elegant speaker. The bawling, brawling Republicans are the delinquent children, and Obama is the adult in the room; perhaps that is why they hate him so.

And yes I do sleep, but I also use the time-delay feature for a lot of posts.




Stan said...

All the Republicans can do now is more bitching and hate. I watch Fox News (sometimes) and can't believe what I'm hearing. Why are all the commercials on Fox geared toward turning all your cash into gold or silver? Cracks me up!

Russ Manley said...

All just a con game. The zillionaires who really pull the strings of the GOP aren't about to let the monetary system collapse. But it sure winds up the rank and file, don't it?

Related Posts with Thumbnails