C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Jason Collins Comes Out


The first major-league American sports figure to come out while still playing, basketball star Jason Collins tells the world he is gay in the latest issue of Sports Illustrated. Your Head Trucker doesn't give a damn about any kind of sports, but it's great to see another wall come tumbling down for those who are into such things - another sign that the next generation of gays won't have to grow up closeted, fearful, and stunted as my generation did. Excerpt:
The first relative I came out to was my aunt Teri, a superior court judge in San Francisco. Her reaction surprised me. "I've known you were gay for years," she said. From that moment on I was comfortable in my own skin. In her presence I ignored my censor button for the first time. She gave me support. The relief I felt was a sweet release. Imagine you're in the oven, baking. Some of us know and accept our sexuality right away and some need more time to cook. I should know -- I baked for 33 years.

When I was younger I dated women. I even got engaged. I thought I had to live a certain way. I thought I needed to marry a woman and raise kids with her. I kept telling myself the sky was red, but I always knew it was blue.

I realized I needed to go public when Joe Kennedy, my old roommate at Stanford and now a Massachusetts congressman, told me he had just marched in Boston's 2012 Gay Pride Parade. I'm seldom jealous of others, but hearing what Joe had done filled me with envy. I was proud of him for participating but angry that as a closeted gay man I couldn't even cheer my straight friend on as a spectator. If I'd been questioned, I would have concocted half truths. What a shame to have to lie at a celebration of pride. I want to do the right thing and not hide anymore. I want to march for tolerance, acceptance and understanding. I want to take a stand and say, "Me, too."
President Obama called Jason to praise his courage, and the First Lady tweeted her support:


Be sure also to read the excellent op-ed by Frank Bruni in the New York Times.


Update: Collins talks with George Stephanopoulos:




Update 2: The President returned to the podium after a press conference today to talk about Collins:



Related Posts with Thumbnails