C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, December 15, 2012

The President Speaks on the Connecticut School Shooting

In the Briefing Room of the White House, President Obama made an emotional address to the nation about the killing of 27 children and adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, yesterday:




My sympathies also go out to all the victims and their loved ones. Despite the President's moving words, however, I just don't believe anything will change as a result of this latest horror.

It's been nearly 14 years since the Columbine massacre; 5 years since the Virginia Tech slaughter; and still things rock along just as they did then, and nobody has done a single thing to stop these tragedies from happening.

Your Head Trucker is not going to discuss here the whys and wherefores and causes and effects; plenty of people are paid to do that, and you're going to be hearing what they think in the days to come. And most of them will be utterly wrong.

And whether anyone is right or wrong, nothing - absolutely nothing - will change. Except that this kind of thing will happen more and more often. You will just get used to it and accept it with a shrug as a normal, if sad, part of this mad modern world we live in.

Won't you?


Further Reading:

List of rampage killers in the Americas

List of rampage killers: School massacres

List of rampage killers: Workplace killings

List of rampage killers: Familicides


From these lists, please note that you can quite easily maim and massacre bunches of people with knives, machetes, spears, swords, clubs, bombs, molotov cocktails, grenades, etc., as you can with guns.  Which is what happens in countries where civilians aren't allowed to own guns. Like China.

Do keep that fact in mind while you are listening to the forthcoming ya-ya debates over gun control, and see what it does for your thinking.

4 comments:

Tim said...

So desperately sad, my thoughts and prayers to all those all those suffering a loss.

Tim said...

Almost as I wrote my comment, the debate has started. But discussion of the use of guns, knives, whatever, is surely secondary. The primary issue here has to be the one of morality. It is wrong to take anothers life, pure and simple. The reason most of us can control our behaviour, whilst some cannot, that is what needs to be debated, not the methodology.

Frank said...

We all have heavy hearts right now. There will be a time for sorting through the issues, but I'm afraid I share your views; we, as a nation, are no longer adept at solving problems.

Russ Manley said...

Frank - Yes, it seems the problems are running the nation now, not the other way around.

Tim - You are a very smart man, and have hit the nail on the head. Go to the head of the class!

Related Posts with Thumbnails