C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, November 19, 2012

Tired Old Queen at the Movies: Brief Encounter


Your Head Trucker concurs with Steve's recommendation of this understated British film, a poignant, delicately crafted work:
Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard endure the agonies of an illicit love affair in David Lean's classic adaptation of Noel Coward's BRIEF ENCOUNTER (1946). Taking place in a London train station and under Lean's brilliant direction, two very decent, very nice and very married people, meet, fall madly in love and suffer the consequences, all to the music of Rachmaninoff. Johnson was deservedly Oscar nominated and the film proved to be the benchmark by which every British romantic film has measured itself ever since.



Catch more fabulous movie reviews at Steve's YouTube channel.

2 comments:

Harpers Keeper said...

Wonderful movie.

I had the chance to see a staging of all of the Noel Coward "Tonight At 8:30" plays a couple years ago; including Still Life. It is equally wonderful on the stage.

Russ Manley said...

I'll bet so, sounds good.

Related Posts with Thumbnails