C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, November 26, 2011

Turkey Tips

This comes too late for Thanksgiving, but in case any of you kitchen queens are planning on doing a big bird for Christmas . . .

For at least the past 15 years, your Head Trucker has been hearing about the delights of deep-fried turkey; alas, I've never been in the right place at the right time to get any, so I can't tell you if the reports are true or not.

However, this cautionary video from Underwriters Laboratories gives me pause:



Yikes! Pretty scary stuff that I'd never thought about before. However, the following video gives some good tips and directions, if any of you macho men in the audience want to give it a try sometime.



Too much trouble, is what your Head Trucker thinks, when it's so much simpler to just throw a bird in the oven without worrying about calling the fire department.

And here's the queen of Southern cooking, Paula Deen, who shows you what to do with the latest triumph of American ingenuity: an indoor turkey frier:



If this tired old queen was into cooking, that would be the route to go, I think. God, all that turkey meat makes me so damn hungry!

The ex-roommate is doing a big Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings for his four adult kids and their spouses/partners today. He's going to do a smaller version with a roasting hen and have me over next week sometime. I'll post pictures if I can.

The only time I get home-cooked food anymore is when I eat with him. It's just too depressing and too wasteful to try cooking for one here . . . believe me, I've tried. Much easier and cheaper to buy the microwave dinners, or make a sandwich.

2 comments:

Frank said...

I've had deep fried turkey that some campground neighbors made once. It was good, but as you say, not worth the trouble or expense (there's a lot of oil in those pots).

Not to mention the hazard: I'm surprised Paula still has her hands and face after dropping that bird in her indoor fryer. And they warn about the bird being dry, then inject it with a juice (water based) flavoring. Yikes! Call 911.

Besides, what's a turkey without the stuffing?

Russ Manley said...

I agree. Somebody told me once that it takes several gallons of cooking oil, which costs maybe $30-$40. WTF? And like you, I'm not understanding if the turkey has to be completely dry, how you get away with injecting marinade.

I assume the indoor fryer has a temperature control to keep it from boiling over . . . but what do I know.

Related Posts with Thumbnails