C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Pork Boys Do Porkchops Jambalaya

One night last week.  The food was so damn good, we forgot to take pics of it on the table.  This is one of M.P.'s all-time greatest hits, I tell you what boys.  Thin, tender, juicy slices of fried pork chops mixed in with a variation of traditional Cajun jambalaya - the real jambalaya from the bayou country, not what you get in stores or even restaurants. 

Starts with rice, of course; Ro-Tel tomatoes, which you Yankee boys don't know anything about; three colors of bell peppers (red, orange, green); hard-boiled eggs; crumbled fried bacon; various herbs and spices, including the mandatory dash of Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning.  Plus the secret ingredient that starts the chain reaction (shhhh!):  caramelized onions sauteed in butter with a little sugar sprinkled over them.

Oh.My.God.  Beyond larrupping good.  So sorry I couldn't save you boys a plate, we damn near killed ourselves wolfing it down, with some fresh French bread and real butter on the side, and of course some smooth White Zin.  If you're ever asked what you want for your last meal, this is what to order.  Grin.
 
M.P. has a thing for colored bottles, very pretty when the evening sun shines through the window of his neat little bungalow. 
He built that table himself.


M.P. picked the roses and irises out of his garden that afternoon, and they made a lovely centerpiece together.





As you can see, M.P. is a wizard at napkin folding; he did these to match the irises.
 
Porkchops jambalaya.  Sweet, spicy, incredibly good.
It may not look like much, but trust me fellas -
you ain't never had something this good in your mouth.

My contribution:  fresh, ripe strawberries with whipped topping over Sara Lee pound cake.  A fine, simple ending to a fabuous meal. 


4 comments:

Frank said...

Years ago, when visiting my sister who was working in New Orleans, Leon and I went to Jackson Brewery to a cooking demonstration where I learned to make Jambalaya. But yours definitely sounds better! Now, could you be a little more specific? With the ingredients and directions, I mean. And Ro-Tel sounds like a cell phone company. Can I use ATT?

Russ Manley said...

ROFLMFAO. Now that's funny. No, you will probly have to import the Ro-Tel tomatoes from Dixie, I hope Customs charges don't add too much to the price.

Send me an email, Frank, and I will try to get you M.P.'s recipe. He *promised* me he would write it down. (Like you, he tends to improvise as he goes along . . . .) You would definitely love it, and I bet Leon would be hooting and hollering too.

PS - um, could it be y'all were at the famous JAX brewery in N'Awlins?

David said...

As a midwesterner do I count as a yankee boy? Cuz my queso dip always includes Ro-Tel tomatoes, the ones with cilantro and lime.

Your dinner sounds amazing, but then it always does =)

Russ Manley said...

A pound of Velveeta and a can of Ro-Tel makes a damn fine dip, yessir it does. We'll count you as a friendly, sure 'nuff.

Though you may have to attend remedial classes on your accent, it's state law. Grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails