C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, September 1, 2019

Sunday Drive: Time Is Tight

Time flows on endlessly like a mighty river, and we small, frangible human beings mostly find ourselves drifting with the current, sometimes languorously over a broad stretch of placid water, and other times dashing and crashing through fearsome rapids that lead to who knows what on the other side.  All we can be sure of is that if we survive the rocks and shocks, we shall certainly be changed, for good or ill.

How short a span does fifty years seem in retrospect!  One can almost turn around and touch the past, it seems so near in memory.  The year 1969 was a turning point in American history in some ways, and certainly it was in my personal history:  the last golden, carefree summer before the hammer blows of life began to fall, forging childhood into adulthood in the years that followed.  There is a persistent myth that one's teenage years are the happiest of one's life.  I can testify that in my own case, they were anything but.

Nevertheless, for me this simple, lively tune by Booker T. and the M. G.'s from the spring of that watershed year perfectly expresses the exuberance of youthful, untroubled happiness.  I thought so then, and I think so now.  It always makes me smile.




4 comments:

Davis said...

My teenage years were painful to say the least, but coming out at 18 made me a much happier - or content, human being. But there was a carefree atmosphere in the late 60s and early 70s as I came to accept myself and to look forward to the future - something my teens couldn't hope for.

Russ Manley said...

Well of course, everyone's mileage varies. It's lovely that you were able to come out at 18 - and happily. I had years of grief and despair to get through before I came out at the very end of the 70's.

We all have to struggle with the demands and difficulties of life, and find our way to happiness at our own speed, I suppose. Some sooner than others.

Davis said...

Yes I was blessed with a couple of guys - as role models - partners that remained together for 30 years until they both died. They were there as guides - they saved my life and those of others as well by being solid human beings.

Russ Manley said...

How wonderful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails