C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Bygones: The Bed-In-A-Car

Nash Motors Company was a spunky little contender in the automaking field from 1916 until it merged with Hudson to form American Motors in 1954.  In 1936, Nash introduced the "bed car," a convenience for tourists and campers, which was a thing for a while.

Cover of 1937 Nash brochure

Nash's top-of-the-line Ambassador Eight, 1937

Specs for all Nash models, 1937

Popular Science article, May 1936

It's that new Nash, 1939

Newspaper ad, March 1941

Worldwide map of Nash dealerships, 1937

Wait, what did you say?  "Big enough to sleep two six-footers."  Hmm.


1 comment:

Tim said...

The ‘bed’ idea re-surfaced in 1969 with the introduction of the UK’s Austin Maxi, from the makers of the more famous Mini. The rear seats folded flat to make a double bed. My Pa’s twin brother, Fred, was one of the first owners. Given his numerous romantic intrigues, having a bed in his car was a very useful thing! LoL.

Google image: 10941330754_d760488623_b.jpg for advert “What’s so new about reclining seats?"

Related Posts with Thumbnails