C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, June 18, 2018

Today's Quote: Laura Bush

Embed from Getty Images

Former First Lady Laura Bush, in an op-ed for the Washington Post, emphasis mine:

I live in a border state. I appreciate the need to enforce and protect our international boundaries, but this zero-tolerance policy is cruel. It is immoral. And it breaks my heart. Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities in the desert outside of El Paso. These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in U.S. history.

Americans pride ourselves on being a moral nation, on being the nation that sends humanitarian relief to places devastated by natural disasters or famine or war. We pride ourselves on believing that people should be seen for the content of their character, not the color of their skin. We pride ourselves on acceptance. If we are truly that country, then it is our obligation to reunite these detained children with their parents — and to stop separating parents and children in the first place.




2 comments:

Michael said...

Thank you for posting Laura Bush's words. It was well said. I cannot believe what is happening to our country. Never in a million years did I think that all of this would actually occur.

Frank said...

Congress needs to act ( with NO WALL FUNDING) and then override any presidential veto to make this right.

Related Posts with Thumbnails