C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, June 14, 2018

Catching Up with the Pork Boys: Spring 2018

In this episode, we find M.P. rapidly returning to full culinary strength for a scrumptious Easter dinner; with the coming of spring, he renews his interest in the lawn and garden; and finally, we celebrate my birthday in full festive style.  Click on any photo to enlarge.

Our Easter hors d'oeuvres began with rainbow-hued Easter-egg cookies - M.P.'s gay improvisation  on "melting moment" cookies, a kind of shortbread.

But that was not all - he made our old favorite deviled eggs in all the colors of the rainbow, too!  And at left, you see a platter of finger sandwiches (homemade pimiento cheese filling), while at top right is a bowl of tasty tandoori meatballs.

Continued below the jump . . .





A simple white lace tablecloth, pink silk lilies, and candlelight were just the right touch.

The color of the flowers matches the color of the wine - tres jolie, n'est-ce pas?

At Easter it was still a bit chilly outside, so the fireplace gave warmth and charm to our dinner.

M.P. has labored for years to perfect his croissant making, and believe me when I tell you that they are so crusty, tender, and buttery-good as to make you think you are sitting in a Parisian cafe.

The only picture I have of our delightful boneless leg of lamb, marinated in wine, stuffed with garlic and rosemary, and roasted to a turn.  Talk abut good, oh my!

Alas, here the Easter pics end, because dinner was ready and we couldn't wait!  But here is the menu:
Split-pea soup
Roast lamb with mint jelly
Garlic mashed potatoes
Green bean casserole
Creamed corn
Croissants and butter
White Zinfandel
Peach mousse
Italian Easter pie
Coffee

But I do have a picture of our dinner on the following Sunday:

From top left, clockwise:  a crescent-roll breadstick; a pork cutlet braised in wine gravy; chopped broccoli; gnocci parisienne - Jackie used to serve this at the White House, and all I can say is, ooh la la! - then potato pancake with a sort of catalina sauce; and a stuffed mushroom in a fleurette of puff pasty.  It all went down very well indeed.

Our Sunday dinners are surely something to be grateful for.  And now for a few pictures of M.P.'s horticultural efforts - more has been done since these early photos were taken:

We bought a couple of baskets of purple petunias at the grocery store, and aren't they gorgeous?  M.P. calls them "Starry Night."

M.P., the artist, never tires of making new planters out of all sorts of things.
A brilliant red Gerber daisy lords it over a jumble of purple whatzits at the corner of the side porch.  These have filled out a lot more since the pic was taken.
When M.P. built this little piece of wall from concrete blocks, he included some built-in planters.
Tomato seedlings show promise of a bountiful harvest in future.

A blue heron and a new Mexican planter add interest to the front corner.

Close-up of the intricate design of the planter.

Finally, M.P. pulled out all the stops for my colorful birthday dinner, which I thought was the most fabulous surprise:

Above and below, what a gay, festive table, eh?


Notice the individual place flowers in addition to the rainbow-hued centerpiece.

Baked ham, pineapple rings, cherries - what more is there to say?



Homemade croissants sprinkled with poppy seeds; tender asparagus; and homemade Hollandaise sauce.  Not shown:  a pot of cold vichyssoise, a delightful appetizer on a hot day.

Starting at 1 o'clock:  croissant; asparagus and Hollandaise sauce; ham; creamed corn; pineapple casserole; and potatoes au gratin.

For the piece de resistance, M.P. made his famous Tiger Butter Cake- a joyful sight to behold.

The name comes from the buttery stripes on the inside, as you can see in this slice.  Supremely delicious.  I tell you what.


Well, that's all for now, folks.  Until next time, bon appetit, y'all!



3 comments:

Frank said...

I just gained 10 pounds,

Russ Manley said...

I've stopped counting. Wink.

Davis said...

What an awesome menu! I'm drooling...

Related Posts with Thumbnails