C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, April 6, 2015

Marriage News Watch, 4/6/15

Matt Baume of the American Foundation for Equal Rights reports:




What I Say:  On a tangent matter - Ya know, fellas, as much as I look forward to nationwide marriage equality, I am sick and tired of hearing about the damn wedding cakes. Food, lodging, transportation, employment, and housing are all necessities of life. Wedding cakes are not.

Yeah, yeah, I understand the arguments - but it's possible to win the battle and lose the war, you know? Screaming and crying about cakes is just so unnecessary, in my view, and causes hard feelings on the other side that distract from the big issues - a cake is a tiny thing that can be done without for now.

And as a widower left alone and stranded in small-town Texas with no rights whatsoever when my husband died unexpectedly ten years ago, I would much rather have had legal recognition of our union than any silly cake.

There's my 2 cents.

3 comments:

Davis said...

I am with you, brother. Let's not be petty.

Frank said...

Leon and I got our cake at Costco, as if that matters. But I agree, if a bake shop or whatever doesn't want my business, I am happy to go elsewhere.

My beef is with "sincerely held religious beliefs" - and who defines how sincere or deep is one's belief or which beliefs are truly religious, or which religions have beliefs that "require" them to infringe on other's rights or what else can emerge from this can of worms.

But if you need a nice and very good quality cake, I'd recommend Costco.

Russ Manley said...

Davis - Amen.

Frank - No Costco out here in the country, but the local does a very nice job too.

The fine line between "religious belief" and serving the public is a muddy one. It will be interesting to see how the Supreme Court handles the question when it comes to them, as it surely will in time.

But I'm like you, if someone doesn't want my business for things that are not necessities, I will just go somewhere else - or bake the damn cake myself!

Related Posts with Thumbnails