C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Gomer Got Married

Surprise, surprise, surprise!

And now we know: Jim Nabors married his longtime companion Stan Cadwallader during a visit to Seattle this month.

Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

The guys have been a couple for 38 years, though Nabors has never been officially out until now. All good wishes to them, and more happy years together.

I know some of you fellas around my age will remember that in the winter of 1971-72, when the new meaning of gay had just barely begun to trickle into people's minds down here in the Southland, there was a funny story going around that Rock Hudson and Jim Nabors had gotten married. Which everybody laughed at because of course the idea of two men getting married was completely ludicrous in that day and time; and also, nobody could picture those two very opposite types making any kind of couple.

But there was a grain or two of truth buried in that garbled story, wasn't there.


Update: Snopes.com has the origins of the story.


4 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Goh-a-ohh-lee, Sergeant Carter!

Frank said...

These are the stories that make the news - celebrities that people can relate to in different ways, of different generations - coming out, letting the world see love that has endured longer than many "straight" marriages and thereby helping establish the new norm. Great story.

Davis said...

Yeah and I wish them every happiness.

Russ Manley said...

I second the motion, Frank.

Related Posts with Thumbnails