C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving, 1945

Just thought I'd share with you guys one of your Head Trucker's favorite Norman Rockwell covers for the Saturday Evening Post. The repatriation of American soldiers from the far-flung battle fronts of the war, mainly by ship, continued all through the autumn of 1945 and well into the following year. My dad had served in England and Belgium with the USAAF, and had accumulated enough discharge points that he was able to get home by October. I'm sure there were many thankful hearts that year in homely kitchens all over the country - and grieving ones too.

But of course, it's that way every year in this bittersweet world, isn't it? I wish a very happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Click to enlarge

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, Russ!

Davis said...

HAve a blessed Thanksgiving, Russ.

Tim said...

Happy Thanksgiving Russ, this year there has been a lot to be thankful for, your Presidential election for one, but there's still a lot that requires mankind's attention, so some R&R before the fight continues!

Russ Manley said...

Thanks guys, appreciate ya.

Ray's Cowboy said...

Russ,
I do hope you had a great and blessed Thanksgiving.

Hugs
Ray

Russ Manley said...

Same to ya, Ray.

Related Posts with Thumbnails