C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lovelight: When You Kiss Me

Cody

A gray, gloomy day in Texas, a day of quiet tasks and deep thoughts. A day to shut the doors, keep the wind out, and avoid looking in mirrors. It is not until you begin to grow old that you realize what a cruel thing that aging really is. A thief, a robber with no mercy. Nothing you have is safe from his clutches.

All the more reason to enjoy your youth while you have it.

Yesterday would have been my husband's 61st birthday.  Not looking for sympathy; nothing anyone can say about that now.  Just remembering.  Funny how time slips away.

But my husband had a rather Egyptian idea of immortality:  that no one dies as long as their name is spoken and remembered. 

So this is for Cody: and for me, a meditation on what was, what might have been . . . and what can never be.


8 comments:

David said...

Sending a hug your way Russ.

Russ Manley said...

Thanks David.

Staircase Witch said...

I know this will happen to me someday, one way or another, and it terrifies me.

I read this today and it made me think of your post.

Know that you, too, were loved more than anything.

Russ Manley said...

Thanks darlin'.

As the post you linked to makes so clear - the only enduringly important thing in this life, as long as it lasts, is how much and how well you love.

Stan said...

You have every right to your memories Russ. For some of us that's all we have left of our dear departed loved ones.

Russ Manley said...

I know you know it, Stan.

Craig said...

What a beautiful post. How nice it is to remember and be remembered.
The video was excellent. I wonder what it is from?

Russ Manley said...

Craig, thanks for your comments here and on the other post. The video clips are from a popular German soap opera, not sure of the name but you can easily google it with "Christian and Olli."

Related Posts with Thumbnails