C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tired Old Queen at the Movies: Singin' in the Rain


Damn, that Johnny is soooo studly, especially with a beard.  Here's the fabulous Steve Hayes with a review and lots of fascinating inside stories about the 1952 classic:
Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor dance and sing their way into your heart in Stanley Donen's tribute to the good old days of movie making, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. Done in the Technicolor splendor that was MGM in its prime, the film boasts a book by Comden and Green, dancing by luscious Cyd Charisse and an hysterical Oscar nominated performance by Jean Hagen as the silent star who can't adjust to talkies. Gene Kelly has never been better, Debbie is adorable, but it's Donald O'Connor who proves he was one of the true geniuses of musical comedy. It's a fun filled trip into Hollywood nostalgia that has rightly earned its place as one of the greatest musicals ever filmed. And oh, those numbers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a music teacher, I showed this many times to elementary kids. Not only great music, it led into a discussion of how technology has impacted music since the caveman times. Of course, I also couldn't help but notice Gene Kelley - what a hunk!

Russ Manley said...

Cool teaching technique. And yes, Kelly was a *very* studly guy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails