C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tired Old Queen at the Movies: Suddenly, Last Summer


Steve Hayes reviews the not-so-subtly gay-themed 1959 film:
Elizabeth Taylor, Katharine Hepburn and Montgomery Clift take a walk on the wild side in Joseph L. Mankiewicz's SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER. Taken from a Tennessee Williams' one-act play and adapted for the screen by Gore Vidal, but with Williams taking credit for the screenplay, this film was so controversial Cardinal Spellman himself publicly banned it. This, of course, brought the audiences out in droves and made it one of the highest grossing pictures of the year. The plot deals with homosexuality, murder, madness, lobotomies, greed and revenge with casual references to, incest, nymphomania, suicide and various Oedipal complexes. In short, it's classic Williams done to perfection by a star-studded cast at the top of their game. Provocative, disturbing and fascinating, SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER is ultimately unforgettable.

2 comments:

Frank said...

Oh, the days when movies were made from stage plays so that those of us all over america could see them. There was real acting, drama, dialogue, innuendo. I remember well the homoerotic under currents of Suddenly Last Summer and wanted to know more about Sebastian and his escapades.

Russ Manley said...

Yes, they don't make them like that anymore. Pity.

Related Posts with Thumbnails