C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, March 2, 2009

Where No Storms Come

For various reasons, it's a really busy week here for me so I may not get much posted the next few days. I know you guys are keeping up with all the gay related news via the links in the righthand column; and then there's all the other news from around the nation and the world, and right at the moment it's all kind of depressing - stock prices, wars, assassinations, assorted other crimes, stupidity, foolishness, and selfishness everywhere you look, and everybody bitch-bitch-bitching about something.

Sometimes it gets to be a bit much to handle. Sometimes I just get a little overloaded with it all and have to retreat for a while to a nice quiet, peaceful spot in my mind where everything is tranquil and the world's noise isn't heard - can you relate?

A place like this:



I have desired to go
Where springs not fail,
To fields where flies no sharp and sided hail
And a few lilies blow.

And I have asked to be
Where no storms come,
Where the green swell is in the havens dumb,
And out of the swing of the sea.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

6 comments:

Doorman-Priest said...

Can I join you? I promise to very quiet and not at all demanding.

Russ Manley said...

Sure, bring a bottle of vino and come along. It's nice here. An eternal Sunday afternoon.

Ray's Cowboy said...

I have a whle collection of wine. This plae is very relaxing. Someimes you need to be at peace with yourself and bring yourself to a place like this in your mind.
Mental vacation.

Hpe you have a wonderfl day, my freind.
Hugs
Ray

the cajun said...

One of my favourite Hopkins poems. Enjoy your peaceful place.

Anonymous said...

OK, since no one else has asked the obvious question, is Gerard MANLEY Hopkins a relative of yours?

Russ Manley said...

A brother in spirit.

Related Posts with Thumbnails