C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, October 7, 2026

What Do You Do with a Hungry Sailor?

Feed him, of course.  Here is a rather fetching, well-informed young man from the Naval History and Heritage Command who walks us through the preparation of Beef Chili Con Carne, straight out of the pages of the U. S. Navy's official Cook Book, 1945: 

You can find the 1944 edition of that cook book online at Internet Archive. It's quite fascinating, chock full of very good recipes for all kinds of down-home cooking that will fill a hungry man's belly and leave a smile on his face. Support Our Troops! And here's the recipe itself, if you're in a hurry to start cooking; but of course you'll have to cut the recipe down to size, as Thomas showed in his video.

I would add chopped onions and bell pepper.
Click to enlarge.


Bonus:  Here is another chili recipe from the United States Merchant Marine Cook Book, 1945.  I think it's better than the Navy version:

Click to enlarge.

-----

2 comments:

Alex said...

I'm sure I could think of something else to do with a sailor, 😆

Not a huge fan of chili con carne, however I cook it sin carne as the dude is vegetarian. I am surprised they don't add onions as well!

Russ Manley said...

What you do with a sailor is up to you! Haha.

We are card-carrying carnivores here. This chili recipe is very similar to mine, only I use ground beef and add tomato sauce, onions, and bell pepper. For spaghetti, I omit the beans and use different spices, and a splash of red wine. M.P. gobbles them both down like there is no tomorrow.

He grew up in El Paso, and loves Mexican food, which he often cooks. His chicken enchiladas and fish tacos (yes!) are scrumptious, He also taught me to love avocados, which are great with frittatas and as a garnish for all kinds of soups.

Related Posts with Thumbnails